Pages

Friday, October 18, 2013

Giant Ruler Board {DIY Art}


For today's DIY Art, I have another one of my favorites! I know it's silly to say that every day, but it's true. However after the last year of moves and changes, I don't have much of anything that isn't a favorite! This giant ruler, though, is in our third home with us, and we're so glad! It would have been even harder to move several times if we had had to leave the growth marks of our kiddos at each new house!

I'm showing you pictures from when I first made the board. It's now marked up with growth lines and names and dates for our three boys for the last two years or more. They love to pretend measure themselves too!

Here's the original post.
____________________________________

You've seen the giant rulers everyone's making, right? Love the concept, love the look, had to make it.




We have a small wall in the middle of everything that fits the ruler perfectly. You can see our living room to the left, the hallway to the right. The open door is our bedroom. You're standing in the kitchen while looking at the ruler. (Should I be freaked out that there's a stranger in my house, or excited that you came to visit?)

Anyway... 



I took some time away from sorting boxes in the storage room (will it ever end?!??) and created something. As much as I like sorting and organizing, creating is better!


My husband just so happened to have a piece of wood hanging around in the garage. I stole it. Mwah hah hah! 

Here are the steps I took to make my ruler:
  • sand the face and edges of the board with a power sander tool thingy
  • stain the board. I used minwax's special walnut, one coat.
  • measure and mark the lines with a tape measure and pencil
  • draw the lines with a sharpie and a ruler/straight edge/something
  • use stencils to draw the numbers, again using a sharpie
  • apply two quick coats of poly
  • measure (kind of important!) and hang the finished ruler 

Did you catch my supply list? Here it is again:
  • board 
  • sander
  • stain
  • ruler
  • pencil
  • sharpie
  • poly

Since we had all of the supplies on hand, this awesome giant ruler was free! Now I can paint the doorway we were previously marking up, and if we should move one day, this precious family heirloom can come with us!

Just in time for the birthday markings in a couple weeks!


Have you made something fun lately?

_________________________

Seriously, Jonathan is so little there!!! 

I do want to mention that I have opened an Esty shop! It's called Beauty4AshesEtsy and I just have a little inventory listed for now. I'm still collecting supplies and getting set up, then I'll be able to list more. I do custom orders, and one I'll consider doing is this ruler. I need to double check on the shipping costs to set a price, but if you're interested, let me know! 

 
Can you believe it's Day 18 already? Me neither!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails