Pages

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

A Sign for Grandpa {DIY Art}

I had intended during this month of DIY Art for your home, to actually finish the remaining rooms in our house. I seem to have bad timing with cleanliness and sunlight corresponding in the kitchen, and while the younger boys' room was the first one set up back in August, I still haven't put any art on the walls. Nor have I hung stuff in our master bedroom, and there's a box of frames waiting to be hung in the hall! 

Excuses, excuses. 
 
 
Today we're taking a little trip back in time to see one of my first signs. It's also one of my favorites and one that I know is well-liked by a certain Grandpa as it hangs on his shop door. So enjoy this re-post from August 2010. We only had two kids!
_____________________
 
My awesome in-laws were here this weekend. I am one of those lucky (blessed!) people who love their in-laws! They are wonderfully helpful and supportive. They and the boys have a mutual adoration thing going on, and it's so fun to live relatively close (a day's drive) to them so they can see their grandbabies grow up.

We were given some crabapples and my MIL and I spent an afternoon making freezer jam. Did we take pictures? Nope.

On Sunday we went to a neighbor's house and picked up as many apples as we could. They weren't great apples and wouldn't keep long, so we made applesauce. Not including picking time (which was hot and sweaty) it took the 4 of us 8 hours to process all of the apples. We made 33 quarts. 

Did we take pictures? Nope.

*sigh*

I did take pictures of the Father's Day gift we finally gave my FIL. Yes, I know it's August.


Back in June (see, I had good intentions!!!) I took a piece of plywood and sanded down the face just a little bit.


I slapped on a coat in my favorite brown house paint.



When the paint was dry, I used more house paint to stencil 'Grandpa' on the board.

When THAT was done, I put on handprints of the boys using, you guessed it, more house paint.


I wrote their names and ages with a sharpie.

My husband drilled holes and threaded them with twine so Grandpa could hang the sign. Here it is completed:


I think he liked it.


_____________________________________

Today is Day 22 of 31 Days of DIY Art for your home! I've gotta get the rest of my art on the walls to share with you!



1 comment:

  1. What a perfect grandparent gift, Ellie. I love it- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails