Pages

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Best Daddy Sign {DIY Art}


I'm pulling out an oldie, but this was a popular post and I still love this sign! It's Day 5 of my 31 Days of DIY Art for Your Home! Yes, we're even blogging on weekends!


Before there was Pinterest, I saw this sign and knew I wanted to recreate it.

I believe credit goes to The Handmade Home
 
I made my version for my husband Gary for Father's Day 2012. It would be a great gift for a birthday or Father's Day, and can easily say "Grandpa" instead of "Daddy."

I chose to keep my version simple by using a piece of board, my Cricut and black paint.

First I sanded the wood down to make the edges smooth, then I stained it with 'special walnut' stain. You should totally wait for the stain to dry, but I cut out the vinyl letters with my Cricut and started sticking them on while it was still wet. Well, vinyl doesn't stick to wet stain, so I added a little poly to make them stay in place and it worked great. Still, don't do what I did! Have some patience and wait for the stain to get good and dry!


If you hadn't noticed, I didn't pay too much attention to my inspiration picture and my quote is a little different. Oh well--it still rhymes!

The next step in the process is to smear black paint all over your kids and freak out that they might touch something! No, really, they've done this before and know the concept. Well, except for the one-year-old who was super tight-fisted, except when he tried to lick the paint! His hand print isn't perfect, but that's ok!

I added my kids' names with more vinyl letters, then sealed it all with poly.


Daddy likes his new sign and we have a lasting memento of when our boys were 5, 3 and 1. Aw...

And there you have it, five signs that you can make for your own home or give as gifts. Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. Nexus Exhibitions Pvt Ltd is one of the Premier Indian Exhibition Company which has Beauty Shows successfully organized number of exhibitions/ shows in the B2C & B2B segment with portfolio comprising of fashion, lifestyle & beauty related events across India since 2006

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails