Pages

Monday, October 14, 2013

Gallery Wall III {DIY Art}


My personal favorite gallery-wall look is one that is collected, organic, has time and space to grow, and has something about it that surprises you.  You can see the original post about this wall here.

In this gallery wall, the third version of itself, I threw in two rustic-looking signs too keep the white looking too clean and tidy.

And then there's the duck. What gallery wall display is complete with out a rubber ducky?

What I'm trying to say is that fear can get in the way of a really great gallery wall. I've tried the planning-it-out method, and for some looks, that's great--and important. But for this free-verse version, don't plan it! Just start with a center piece and work out.


Here's my scientific gallery wall hanging method:

I used the frame with the paint strips in the center of the wall at a height that I liked. I then hung the two baby-in-the-bathtub frames beside the paint strip art so the tops would line up. Then I added the "I am a child of God" sign so the right side would line up with the right side of the paint-strip frame. Next, I centered the "family" sign under the center frame. The last few items--the box and moon and star on the right and the small mirror on a ribbon on the left--were hung where they felt right. 

So much for being scientific.

I planned to move the small sun frame when I had more pictures to hang, which would help with balance and scale. See, those things are scientific!

What I'm trying to say is that there is no right way to hang a gallery wall! If you want the collected look, start with your largest piece in the middle, then work out from there. They eye likes things to line up and be centered, so try to loosely follow those guidelines. Also watch for balance and scale, but pay attention to how colors play with each other. Just make sure you own a small bottle of nail-filler and learn how to use it!

Today is day 14 of my 31-Day Series! Hope you're enjoying it--I am!


In other news, I opened an Etsy store! It's called ElliesAshes and you can find it here! I'll be listing more items soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails