Pages

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Building a Better Basement {31 Days of Moodboards}


I grew up in California where basements are not a common feature of the average home. Nor are they the norm in Nevada where I lived for seven years. Then there was Iowa, and basements are a necessity due to storms. When you're not cowering in fear, like me, your basement could be a huge bonus space, not at all the scary spider-filled storage space that you think of!

Here's a list of all the needed elements in a basement family room. Or regular family room or living room or whatever is appropriate to the state you live in.

  • A soothing paint color. This is 'Bedford Gray'.
  • A sectional. The bigger the better. This one happens to be pretty too, and a great color that will be forgiving for years to come.
  • An entertainment system. I prefer the kind with shelves for books, picture frames and other pretties. And I love the dark color that helps the TV blend in.
  • A pretty area rug. Even if you have wall-to-wall carpeting, an area rug adds definition and warmth to your space.
  • An ottoman. I like this huge square one because it will work for a place for snacks as well as feet! 
  • An arm chair. Added seating! Not everyone wants to cuddle on the sectional.
  • A fireplace! This one is gas and doesn't even need to be vented! Love the ambiance, and they really do make your space warmer.
  • A trunk. I assigned this one the job of holding board games. Sometimes it's good to turn off the TV!
  • A gallery wall. This will add lots of interest to a wall or stairwell, and it's a great way to get your favorite pictures in plain sight, not on a hard drive somewhere.
  • Blankets and baskets. I love a cuddly blanket, but I also love somewhere to stash them when they're not in use. 
  • Pillows! As if we're surprised... I included an assortment of blue and gray ones here. Love that combo!
  • Curtains. Even a small, typical basement window will look so much better if you treat it with real curtains! You can hang them high and wide to make the window seem bigger. They can also help to keep a room warm on chilly winter nights.
  • End tables. I'd be a little worried to put a mug of hot chocolate on that bumpy ottoman! And it's a great way to add...
  • Lamps. I like to have a light close to me when I'm reading, and they add such a pretty glow in the evening! 
So there you have it! I want to know, do you have a basement? What do you use it for?


I hope you're enjoying this series! Personalized moodboards are available upon request.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails