Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Barn Door Headboard

Our new bedroom got a big new feature this week.


A barn door headboard!

If you saw my Wordless Wednesday post yesterday, you already knew that. I titled the post "True Love", and while I really really like our new headboard, I was referring to the handyman husband who didn't bat an eye at the idea and who was able to build and install the barn door in two evenings. So yeah, HE's my true love, not the barn door! 


My husband made it from pieces of an old fence that was on our property.
That's what we used for the nursery valance too!


I love its imperfections!


It's very weathered and rustic which was just what we wanted.


We added this wrought iron headboard to give it more interest--and to keep us from getting too close to all of that rustic goodness behind it!


My husband mounted the barn door directly to studs in the wall, then attached the wrought iron headboard as well.

Side note: I love ORB spray paint! The finish on the headboard that I've had for almost 10 years always bugged me. It was gray with white splotches and a really rough finish. Well, 15 minutes and a can of hammered metal oil rubbed bronze spray paint and it's perfect! Why didn't I know about this 10 years ago?!


Cost of the project:
  • wood for barn door--free on property
  • tools and screws--already on hand
  • wrought iron headboard--already owned
  • can of ORB spray paint--$4
  • handyman capable of executing said project: PRICELESS!!


We're getting close to finishing our bedroom. Only a couple projects left! Stay tuned!


Day 20







HOG
HouseofHepworths
 shabby creek cottage
Weekend Bloggy Reading

12 comments:

  1. I really Love the barn door--so rustic! LOVE IT!!!!!! What a great hubby. I am your newest follower. Hope you can visit me sometime too:) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the barn door! I especially love the juxtaposition of the curvy lined smooth metal headboard in front of the rough texture of the reclaimed wood. Your hubs did an amazing job! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet- I love old barn doors. Great hubby, too!! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you clarified. :) Isn't it great to have a handy husband? Cool headboard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very unique! I love that rustic look. Kudos to the handy husband too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! I really like the rustic look. I used old fence sections to make decorative "shutters" in my husbands office. That was a perfect look in our Texas home!

    I also like to use materials in unique ways. Thanks for sharing this at my Bunny Hop Party.

    xoxo Bunny Jean
    Wednesday's Bunny Hop Party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, can I borrow your handy hubby? Mine is cute as all get out, but surely not "handy".

    Very nice texture added to your bedroom...thanks for sharing this idea :D
    Visiting from Bunny Jean's BUNNY HOP Wed. Linky party,
    Smiles, Suzanne in NW IL

    ReplyDelete
  8. He's a keeper for sure! I really like the way the barn wood looks in your bedroom... Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is so pretty. i find so much beauty in the OLD rather than the NEW, don't you? i love weathered pallet picture frames, for example.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I featured your awesome headboard on this week's Terrific Under Ten!
    I love that it was FREE!
    http://athomewithk.blogspot.com/2011/11/terrific-under-ten-tuesday-37.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how it faces the front of your bed. It just makes your bedroom so much more rustic and unique looking. It's like your sleeping in a barn yard. A classy one though.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails