Pages

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Kitchen Renovation {Moodboard}



My brother- and sister-in-law are in the beginning planning curious stages of their kitchen renovation. We chatted about some options and interests and even took a trip to Lowe's to check things out. I'm still trying to figure out the layout--there's a tricky corner involving the sink and window lining up. But for now, here's the moodboard I developed with the ideas we talked about.

This renovation will most likely happen in stages. The current cabinets are falling apart, so it will require a full gut job. Everything will eventually be replaced, from the flooring to the lighting! I think replacing the appliances is the last thing on the list.

Let's start with the kitchen sink. Missy currently has a very deep, double sink in porcelain. I think this farmhouse sink would be a nice update and would give her the same functionality that she is used to. Their kitchen has a great big bay window with display shelves in it. The cabinets will probably be the unfinished ones from Lowe's, and at the last conversation we weren't sure if they should be stained a warm brown or painted creamy white. I put this board together with the brown because it seems more durable to their active lifestyle with three children at home.

For flooring, Glenn and Missy would like ceramic tile that looks like wood. Because of that wood tone and that of the cabinets, I chose a basic laminate counter top. Other options such as granite add a lot to the already stretched budget and laminate is durable and forgiving. I paired it with white beaded board that you buy in sheets from Lowe's to use as a backsplash.

The family would like to add a corner bench (with storage!) and table to their breakfast nook. I chose one in off-white for some contrast in tones in the room. Missy likes oil-rubbed bronze finishes, so I included a light for over the table, track lighting and a light for over the sink. The drawer pulls and knobs are also oil-rubbed bronze. Missy is also a fan of red, so I chose a red rug, towels and canisters for the moodboard.

I think it would be nice to paint the walls a light tan. It would look nice with beadboard on the bottom half of the walls, if the family likes the look. The kitchen is not on the sunny side of the house and the white walls would add dimension and brighten the space.

So there you have it! Are you considering a renovation or make-over soon? Let me know and I'd be happy to put a design board together for you!

Glenn and Missy, thank you for the opportunity to work on this with you! I'd love to know what you really think and work with you to tweak the things that don't feel right or new ideas you have.

Have a groovy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails