Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Granola

We live in the country, have a huge garden, we're avid DIYers, plan to homeschool and I had a baby at home.

So yeah, we're pretty granola.

We also like to EAT granola!


My awesome in-laws are coming to visit for the weekend, so the boys and I made a batch of granola. It's super easy and quick! 

This is my Mom's recipe. Where's it from, Mom?


Gather all of the ingredients. 

Ok, I don't usually do that, but I've found it's easier to cook with the boys when everything is right there. Less time for them to get into stuff when I'm off searching for vanilla!


Mix together the dry ingredients:

7 cups oats
2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup whole almonds
1 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup sesame seeds


Have your 4-year-old mix the dry ingredients with his hands. 

While he's doing that, quickly mix together the wet ingredients:

3/4 cup oil
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup hot water
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 teaspoon salt


Pour wet ingredients over the dry ones and let your 2-year-old mix it up with his hands.

Really, use hands for this! It really helps the dry ingredients soak up the wet ones. 

Right, Mom?


Licking your fingers is also highly recommended.


Oh, the memories of when I was little! 

I loved that we got to use our hands!


Isn't it pretty?

Spread the mixture out on a couple of shallow pans.
Bake at 250* for an hour or until dry and lightly toasted.
Stir often while baking.


Enjoy your granola with the milk of your choice (we had rice milk today) and fruit. 

Or with yogurt, banana and peanut butter, right mom?


Or fantasize about breakfast in bed!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails