Pages

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Whole Foods Breakfasts {Day 14}

Our family has been trying to eat fewer processed foods. There aren't a lot left that we we do eat and we don't at all feel like we're suffering!

Then I went and decided I wanted to do one of those elimination diet things to see what it is my body seems to be reacting to. So for three weeks I'm not eating gluten, dairy, eggs, sugar, soy, peanuts or corn.

There went breakfast, right? Add to that list that we don't usually eat meat--definitely not typical breakfast meats--and it seemed like we'd be eating oatmeal every day. Boring!

I put the word out that I needed some ideas and spent a few hours searching Pinterest for things that mostly avoided the above list (some things are easy to sub or switch) and in the last week we've tried and enjoyed several new breakfasts! I'd like to share them with you, with my comments for whatever it's worth, and a few more I'd like to try so I don't forget.

Here goes!

Please click on the links and pin from the original sources to give credit where credit is due!

Pumpkin Pie Steel Cut Oats in the Crockpot


This recipe by Food Doodles is easy to put together at night and enjoy waking up to the yummy smell in the morning! It does call for honey or maple syrup, but I'm deciding these natural sugars are ok in small amounts, so this is a definite win for our family. And so fun for fall!


Vanilla Raspberry Chia Pudding


I've been intrigued by this idea so finally tried it. I used this recipe by Not Enough Cinnamon and it was pretty good. I let the chia soak in almond milk, then blended everything because I don't like the tapioca lumpy texture. It set up ok but wasn't quite sweet enough. I also made a chocolate one and thought if I added a frozen banana it would be creamier and sweeter.

We ate this with granola on top and the boys liked it. I'll make it again, just with a tweak or two.


Flourless Banana Bread Muffins


These little muffins from Running with Spoons were so good! I subbed soaked chia seeds for the egg, as I've seen you can do that in baking, and they turned out pretty flat (like the picture) even though they puffed up nicely in the oven. The muffins were easy to mix in the blender, even though I was using slivered almonds instead of almond butter. I will for sure make these again, perhaps with more leavening or something.


Apple Pie Smoothie


We ate the banana muffins with this smoothie from Vegan Insanity. It was really good! I might have thrown in an extra banana or something, but other than that, it's sweet and creamy and quite tasty!


Easy Crockpot Applesauce


I used this recipe after our recent trip to the apple orchard. It hardly has any sugar and it's so sweet! It definitely tastes like a treat, and our house smelled so good all day! We ate this as dessert one evening, and as pancake topping twice now. Finding a good recipe for gluten/egg/dairy free pancakes is still a trial, but I'll find one!


Breakfast Potatoes


I haven't tried this recipe yet, but it's on the short list! I love potatoes! I'll serve them with scrambled eggs for my family.


Cacao Coffee


I might just try this cacao coffee this afternoon. Roast cacao nibs and pulse in the coffee grinder to make grounds, then brew in your French press. Gotta try it, at least!

I also want to try more variations of grains in the crockpot. Rice, quinoa, oatmeal, steel cut oats... I'm glad that breakfasts aren't boring, I certainly don't feel limited with my self-imposed restrictions either!

Oh, just a note, I've been doing this elimination thing for less than a week and I feel great! I've cheated a little with maple syrup to sweeten oatmeal and pancakes, and a tablespoon of minimally processed date sugar in my decaf, but I'm encouraged! Hopefully in a couple weeks I can figure out what it is that my body has been trying to tell me to stop eating!

What's your favorite healthy breakfast?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails