We have a small wall in the middle of everything that fits the ruler perfectly. You can see our living room to the left, the hallway to the right. The open door is our bedroom. You're standing in the kitchen while looking at the ruler. (Should I be freaked out that there's a stranger in my house, or excited that you came to visit?)
I took some time away from sorting boxes in the storage room (will it ever end?!??) and created something. As much as I like sorting and organizing, creating is better!
My husband just so happened to have a piece of wood hanging around in the garage. I stole it. Mwah hah hah!
Here are the steps I took to make my ruler:
- sand the face and edges of the board with a power sander tool thingy
- stain the board. I used minwax's special walnut, one coat.
- measure and mark the lines with a tape measure and pencil
- draw the lines with a sharpie and a ruler/straight edge/something
- use stencils to draw the numbers, again using a sharpie
- apply two quick coats of poly
- measure (kind of important!) and hang the finished ruler
Did you catch my supply list? Here it is again:
Since we had all of the supplies on hand, this awesome giant ruler was free! Now I can paint the doorway we were previously marking up, and if we should move one day, this precious family heirloom can come with us!
Just in time for the birthday markings in a couple weeks!
Have you made something fun lately?