Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Tuesday Tip: How to Clean Cast Iron Pans

You know those days when you have a million things going and nothing gets done? Yeah, hate that.

It took until 10 AM this morning to finish the breakfast dishes. Not that there were that many dishes-just interruptions. Wash, wash, go change a diaper, wash wash, help someone into his coat, wash wash, answer the phone, wash wash, break up a fight... 

So yeah, here's my Tuesday Tip. (Yes, I'm fully aware that it's Wednesday!)




"Scrub your cast iron with coarse salt and a soft sponge. The salt is a natural abrasive and will absorb oil and lift away bits of food while preserving the pan's seasoning. Rinse away salt and wipe dry."

If you click on this picture, it will take you to this pin on Pinterest (follow me!). If you click on the picture again you will get to a slide show of other great kitchen tips from Martha Stewart.

I love my cast iron skillets and dutch oven! I know not to use soap on them, so usually I let the food soak, give it a good scrub with a brush with no soap, then dry the skillet on the stove--they rust if you leave them wet. I use a little bit of oil after the water evaporates, just to keep the finish on the pan. I'm going to give this salt tip a try. Will you?

3 comments:

  1. That is a good tip I use only cast iron fry pans I clean them then put them on a warm burner to dry.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard the washing with salt trick - will have to give it a try. I always just use hot tap water and then dry it on the burner. I just did a post about my cast-iron pans and - for your viewing pleasure - took photos of my pan drying. It was quite the thrill to gather around and watch it dry when the kids were small. You can see it here: http://gracie-senseandsimplicity.blogspot.ca/2012/04/10-reasons-im-cast-iron-girl.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good tip :-) We use oil and salt, since the oil will help keep the pan seasoned and protects against rust. I'm thinking about doing a kitchen basics series - do you have any other fun kitchen-y tips you'd want to share?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails