Pages

Friday, October 17, 2014

Whole Foods Suppers {Day 17}

For the record, I want to share some of my new favorite recipes and ideas for menu planning. I'm not great at sticking to a set menu for a week and would rather make sure I have most ingredients on hand and pick from a list the day of, depending on what sounds good, how much time/energy I have, and what the weather is.

I've come across some really yummy meal ideas lately! For right now, we eat mostly vegan, gluten-free, and I also don't eat sugar, corn, soy or peanuts. Just so you know. We don't normally restrict our diet quite that much, but for now that's where we are.

Please click on the links provided to Pin from the original source. Thanks!

Simple Stuffed Sweet Potatoes


We just ate this and the yummy smells are still in our house. In fact, since I found this recipe by Kelly Toups a few weeks ago we've eaten this meal every week. Simple, easy, so so good for you, and very satisfying too. Usually I do use the Greek yogurt topping but tonight I switched it up with a vegan version.


Butternut Squash Soup


This soup by Primal Palate is one on regular rotation in the fall and winter at our house. It's simple and so flavorful. I like to roast the squash whole earlier in the day. It's so much easier than peeling and chopping it! Another tip, if you're feeling generous, is to add a can of coconut milk. So good!


Spinach and Mushroom Quinoa


I tried this recipe from Julia's Album for the first time this week. Gary and I really liked it, but the boys--who love the other recipes here--aren't fans at all! I'll probably make it again because it's so easy and we always have these ingredients, but it'll be a side dish, not the main.


Indian Beans and Rice


We eat a lot of beans and rice and variations, like lentils and rice, or quinoa. No Meat Athlete has several variations if you follow the link above, and this Indian version is our favorite. So very simple, nutritious and flavorful! Sometimes I sub lentils for the garbanzos and it's also good.


Roasted Veggie and Black Bean Rice Bowl


Ok, so I haven't exactly tried this one from Back to Her Roots, but I do make something similar. I like to sauté peppers and onions, maybe a jalepeno and some mushrooms with chili powder and pile the veggies on top of rice and beans, then top it with lettuce, tomatoes and whatever other toppings you have. Always a winner!


Wild Rice Dressing


If you have rice already cooked, this is an excellent way to make a new meal or side dish from it. Sometimes I skip the baking step. It's a Thanksgiving recipe from BHG and is a wonderful vegan dish to bring to holiday meals.


Zucchini Noodles with Pesto and Roasted Tomatoes



This dish from A House in the Hills is another one that I make a variation of, and I should take the final step of adding the roasted tomatoes. Zucchini noodles are a great way to enjoy the feel of pasta when one can't eat pasta, and pesto is always a treat!


Stuffed Zucchini


This recipe is on my list that I want to try. It's from Clean Eating Mag and includes things like breadcrumbs, but I think the idea would be great with rice instead. We love grilled and roasted zucchini, so stuffing it with something yummy sounds delicious!


Szechuan Eggplant


Oh, this looks so yummy! I adore eggplant! I had it on my list to buy at the store, but the eggplant all looked terrible, so I had to put it off. This recipe is from Edible Garden and I can't wait to try it. I plan to serve it with rice noodles.

So there you go, a few ideas for great meals that aren't too complicated, nor expensive, and certainly very good for your tastebuds and your tummy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails