Pages

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Thinking Outside the Silverware Drawer


I sacrificed a silverware drawer to have a junk drawer.


Of course it's not a really junky drawer. 


There's room on the left of this double-decker sliding organizational tray for papers too. It's a very serviceable junk drawer.


In this kitchen there are lots of other drawers for everything that isn't flatware. Spatulas and knives and peelers and everything have their own assigned parking places. 

 
You might have noticed in this picture from the post about our kitchen or the one about chalk paint that the spoons and forks and knives are out on the counter. Let me tell you, it's easy to put things away out of the dishwasher! But did you notice that the one jar is a little wonky?


Come to find out, I had completely broken out the bottom of the jar! So, tin cans to the rescue!


I think they held garbanzos--yeah, I'm pretty sure we made the best hummus ever with garbanzos, roasted red pepper, tahini, garlic and lemon. Yum! I washed the cans, peeled off the labels and tied twine around the tops just for fun.


Works for me!


What about you, would you give up your silverware drawer? What do you keep on your counter?


Have a beauty-filled day!

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I might just have to steal your idea! I have a ton of drawers, but the are all shallow and narrow :/ Do you put your butter knifes in the cans with your spoons and forks too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do put the knives in the cans too. I try to keep the utensils separated just so they're easier to find. I thought three cans would fit in my caddy, but they don't, so I put knives, forks and spoons together in one can and the other can gets serving sized spoons, soup spoons and salad forks. I saw a really cute silverware caddy at Target and am kicking myself I didn't buy it. Oh well! This was free! Hope you find something that works for you!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley! I thought it would be a temporary fix, but I love it!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails