Pages

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Simple Solutions: Doing Dishes


I know, I know, enough of the smart phone pictures already, but at least I'm blogging again. It's so nice! And I promise I'll break out the real camera again soon.

For now I wanted to share this little solution with you!

Do you have a dishwasher? Lucky! Not me. Starting about six years ago, we've only had a dishwasher for a few months at one of our temporary houses. I used to hate doing dishes, so I procrastinated until there was a huge pile... I also had tiny kids, so even the 15 minutes it takes to do the dishes after a meal was overwhelming. I had similar issues with the laundry, waiting until everyone was out of underwear or jeans and there were intimidating piles all over. So maybe I've matured a little in my seven years of being a stay-at-home mom.

Anyway, one simple solution to doing dishes (or laundry) is to tackle things as soon as they start adding up. I now wash dishes as I cook, if time allows, and I wash dishes as soon as each meal is over. Nevermind that I'm completely weird about running water constantly and not filling a sink with sudsy water for all of the gunk and funk and germs to collect in. I seriously have issues sticking my hands in dirty sinks of tepid water!

Solution number two is to make it pretty. Why not display your dishwashing supplies on a pretty plate or a cute basket lined with a towel to catch drips? Right now I'm using my cake plate. I also chose a bright turquoise blue with accents of yellow. Blue soap and dispenser, blue bowl to hold the dish brush, a blue jar for flowers. The lotion is kind of yellow, as is the DIY sugar hand scrub, and of course the flowers my son picked.

Also on the tray is bamboo air freshener sticks and another vase that holds a bottle brush for washing inside glasses, a stopper for the sink, and a sponge.

So there you have it, my way of making a daily, annoying chore somewhat more tolerable, and keeping my kitchen looking cute!

What handy solutions have you found? Any procrastinating on your chores? My dishes are done but the laundry is piling up. Gotta run!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails