Pages

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Rainy Day Treasure Hunt


I don't know about you, but rainy days when kids are inside all day are the longest, hardest days ever! How did we make it through winter? Anyway, lately I've been making sure my kids and daycare kids still get some fresh air and exercise without getting too muddy.


My boys could spend hours searching the gutters and curbs for earthworms, but sometimes we up the ante by collecting treasures! On this day it was actually raining and we only had one extra sweetie, so I gave the kids bags and let them collect whatever they wanted, within reason.


We found rocks, pinecones, sticks, and a few other things. When we got home we washed them up and set them on a towel to dry. After a few hours I deemed them dry enough and out came the hot glue gun and googly eyes!


On another day I had two extra boys which meant the group had a little more... energy. It wasn't raining at the moment, so I grabbed these dollar store raincoats my mom sends us (love them! great for tucking in the car or bag for the zoo or something!), took two seconds on Pinterest, and got a list of great things for the boys to look for.

source

I loosely based it on a list like this and just carried one list myself and told the boys one thing at a time to look for. It was fun and kept everyone focused.

I'm collecting egg cartons so I can do something like this but I'll probably make it less rainbow and more detailed like the list. We'll see.

source
How do you and your kids stay busy and sane on rainy days?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails