Pages

Friday, March 30, 2012

Flashback Friday: DIY Canvas Art

Welcome to another edition of Flashback Friday, where I re-post some oldies but goodies from my first two years of blogging. Enjoy!

 ***
Re-post from March 17, 2011

Since I always seem to have a back story, here's the picture first.


Now the story: I was looking for inexpensive art for my condo back in the day when I was a Young Urban Professional. Yes, I was a yuppy along with the best of them! I had just spent Christmas in Paris (go here for a fun story about that trip) and the week after in London, so I had tons of great pictures. I noticed some art in a pastor-friend's office and knew right away I'd found my inexpensive art project! (That pastor later did the premarital counseling for my husband and me. He signed papers at our wedding, his little girl was our flower girl... Sadly he was killed instantaneously while riding his bike a year or two later. I have homemade art on my walls that reminds me of him and how fragile life can be. And yet I was grumpy at my kids this morning...)

Back to the art!


I waited for a sale and a coupon at Michael's and bought six large canvasses.


I printed my favorite six shots from my trip on 8 x 10 photo paper.


I had just helped a good friend paint her house, so I knew she had this amazing brown paint from Eddie Bauer (this was 6 or 7 years ago now, so I don't remember what it was!).


I rolled the paint on the canvas then stuck my picture down where I wanted it while the paint was still very wet. I was worried that the photo paper would bubble, but it didn't!


When the brown paint dried, I used black on the edges and around the picture to act as a frame within a frame. (My friend's art in his office was bright yellow with red accents and used pictures from a calendar!)


Last, I used stickers to spell out the name of the place where I took the picture. 

I love my inexpensive, personalized art! It's been on the walls of three homes now. Hope you enjoyed it too!

1 comment:

  1. What beautiful art pieces. What a sad story about the pastor. It is wonderful that you have that little "tickler" on your walls to remind you of how important he was in your life...and you know that someday you will be reunited~ xo Diana

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails