Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

Inspiration Files: Easy Kitchen Islands

I want an island in my kitchen. I don't know what I'm going to do with that information, let alone what I want you to do with it. For now I'll try to have my thirst quenched by browsing Pinterest. Just for fun, I narrowed down my findings to islands that would be easy to move into a space and most could be easily moved around too.  

The first group are extra-tall tables, some with stools, some without. Some are small and some are large. Most have an additional shelf near the bottom for storage.



Source: houzz.com via Ellie on Pinterest



Source: bhg.com via Ellie on Pinterest






Source: ana-white.com via Ellie on Pinterest











This one is so creative! I'm not sure what it was, but it sure makes for a fun island!



Next is a group of the exact same, ok, nearly the same island style, each modified to fit the owner's taste. Fun colors, interesting tops, towel bars...







Source: ana-white.com via Ellie on Pinterest



Source: houzz.com via Ellie on Pinterest





One could always go buy a rolling cart! Think how flexible this could be!






Last is a brightly colored dresser converted to work as an island. It looks like a new top was added, as well as the hooks and paper towel holder. What a fun idea!

Source: thenester.com via Ellie on Pinterest


Goodwill, here I come! Do you have an island? Do you love it? What's it like?


6 comments:

  1. I love all your islands here. You may find one yet. At one time my daughter had an old dresser that she topped with a piece of something and used as an island. It was wonderful and gave her extra storage, too. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could, honestly, never understand the appeal of an island that moves around. Where else do I want it to go?

    People will say that they're good for small spaces where an island doesn't fit... If it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit, because at heavy work times, when needed, it would also be more in the way. I like things to be in the exact right spot, and STAY put, especially when I'm exerting effort. I can get a little OCD about things being out of position.

    A fully loaded island that offers any storage would be heavy, and if open shelved, it'd have to be emptied to move..And Hubby would go nuts about it ruining the floor.

    I'm just sayin'... ;-)

    Sorry to be so negatively opinionated. I do LOVE my island... that is attached to the floor and holds my priceless prep sink, and has an electrical outlet for using the mixer, food processor, etc , which wouldn't be possible if it moved. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's great to hear an honest opinion from someone who knows! I had a stationary island in one house when I was fresh out of college and I liked it a lot. In this house I think there is room for one but my husband likes the open feeling of the room. It would bug me if people (aka: my kids) always moved it, but sometimes it might be nice to move it aside when you're not cooking? I don't actually know this. :) Maybe this would be a great way to know if we felt there was room for a REAL island!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made my kitchen island. It's great, we use it every day. I used an old kitchen table to make mine and it cost me nothing too. I made almost a year ago and the only thing I have changed about it is it's color. Good luck on you kitchen island hunt.

    http://loraine-breakfastfordinner.blogspot.com/2011/05/new-zero-kitchen-island.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ellie!

    I love that green kitchen that looks like it belongs in an English cottage (a big one) but can you imagine cleaning the dust bunnies that live under those cabinets?!

    xoxo Bunny Jean

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails