Pages

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

How I Make Soy Milk

I like to tease my husband about all the gadgets he owns. If there's a tool for doing something, he probably owns it! When I married him I also married a Bosch bread machine and a Soyajoy. 


Yes, a Soyajoy.


You know, to make soy milk. At home. From beans. 


I held off learning how at first--I mean, it was neat and all, but I could buy soymilk at the store, thankyouverymuch, and I didn't want another chore to do, and I didn't really like the flavor, not to mention washing the, oh joy, Soyajoy machine.


I got over it. Dry beans are much cheaper than soymilk from the store. You also can control exactly what's in it. You know, like the vanilla and sugar and stuff. 


Here's how.



I buy whole, dried soy beans from Country Life Natural Foods. They sell 5 lbs for $6.75. 


I put two scoops into a bowl (probably 1 1/2 cups dry, makes a double batch), rinse them, cover them with water, and leave them overnight.



By morning the beans have grown at least twice as large--and look more bean shaped!



They get a good rinse.



I then add some of the beans to fill the little basket 2/3rds full.



The basket fits over the blender and tightens onto the base of the machine.



The machine will heat the water with the large metal U-shaped rod, blend the beans twice, and squeeze them out into the pitcher.



Before you assemble the machine, fill the pitcher with water up to the line marked inside.



The top rests on the bottom pitcher and plugs into the wall.



It takes about 15 minutes to get a batch of milk, but most of that time is heating the water. The blending part is loud but doesn't last long. I just try not to run the machine during meals. :)



When the very obnoxious timer goes off, pull the top of the machine off of the pitcher. Be careful as it will burn you! I set the top part in the sink and rinse it with cool water. Inside the basket, all that is left of the beans is some mashed up remnants. (I've heard you can add this mash to recipes but have never tried it.)



I pour the milk into a glass pitcher that has a lid and let it cool before putting it in the fridge.



The hardest part is washing the machine. UGH!

I didn't use to like plain soy milk, but I don't mind it now. It's great for cooking and adding to smoothies. I usually sweeten hot cereal with agave nectar or maple syrup, so the milk tastes fine. 

Oh, that 5 lb bag? Probably lasts 6 months. Not bad for $6.75!


That is, if you're into gadgets!

4 comments:

  1. I have never ever heard of making your own! Wow, that is just amazing. Sounds like another fun gadget to have.

    I can't believe that you went to Macaroni Grill and they were out of bread. That just floored me! That's like McDonalds being out of hamburger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is new to me! It never dawned on me that you could make this milk yourself... very interesting!

    thanks for sharing this at my party. Glad to see you back!

    xoxo Bunny Jean
    Wednesday's Bunny Hop Party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea you could make soy milk at home. We've been drinking a lot of almond milk lately, but I'm pretty sure that women of a "certain age" like myself are supposed to be drinking soy. I'll have to check that out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize you'd need such a specialized gadget, but that's probably why none of us have heard of making it at home before. Thanks for showing and for the link.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails