Pages

Sunday, October 21, 2012

My Wanna-be Kitchen/Dining Area {31 Days of Moodboards}




When you see something you love, pay attention! What is it about it that makes you swoon? This kitchen does it for me. I love the style and the color is a great update from a white kitchen. Nothing wrong with white, but some of us seem to be allergic. Either that or incapable of keeping it clean!

This moodboard of course starts with that great kitchen. I would start with stock cabs from Lowe's and paint or stain it that gray-green color. You can find great deals on cabinet hardware online, or if you're the touchy-feely type, you can find them at Lowe's as well. (That sounded bad.) For countertops, you could go the granite route, decide on another stone-like material or you can go with laminate. While it doesn't feel the same, current laminate designs look just like granite for a fraction of the price. I seem to have skipped right over the sink and lighting in my moodboard, as well as the appliances, but we can see from the inspiration picture (from myhomeideas.com) that there's a white farmhouse sink, stainless appliances, and pendants you could replicate in a couple minutes online or at your favorite hardware store. The stools are from Barn Light Electric and cost more than that sink would, if you got it at IKEA. So I'd shop around and find something similar!

Moving on to the dining area... The floorplan in my head doesn't include a formal dining room. Maybe because I've never lived in a house that had one. Ha! Anyway, I wanted a totally open concept from the front entrance (coming tomorrow) through the kitchen into the living room (yesterday). SO. The dining area is defined by a gray zig-zag rug (or "chevron") where there's a farm style table. I'm counting on my amazing husband to make me one of these soon! And a bench or two. I love the metal chairs against the wood--these are knock-of tolix, found at Cost Plus. There's a super fun, super expensive chandelier above the table that is just a place-holder for something similar for WAY less.... (This guy is almost $1000!) Also in the dining area is a sideboard or buffet or dresser, whatever you want to call it! I would find a cheap dresser and refinish it to get that look on the cheap.

I included a few elements that are the same as the living room--it's an open space, so either you'll see the exact ones in the living room, or the look will be the same in the dining area! Whatever the case, this imaginary home has rustic wood floors, tall board-and-batten, light gray paint and soft white, grommet-topped curtains. Lovely!


I hope you loved it too, and that you're enjoying this series! Moodboards are available upon request.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails