Pages

Monday, April 18, 2011

Dropcloth Curtains

I've jumped on the dropcloth curtain trend train and I don't intend to hop back off any time soon. In fact, I'm getting more dropcloths next town day so I can do some pillows and things too! 

 
I just love the texture and natural colors. 

And that these curtains cost $9 and an hour of my time!

Since there are so many tutorials out there and I can't claim to know how to sew, I'm not going into detail. Besides, so much of it is up to you and your space!

Here's what I did, briefly. 

~Bought one dropcloth at my favorite love-to-hate superstore for $9.

~Washed dropcloth with bleach, cool water and cool drying temp (so it didn't shrink too much).

~Cut the dropcloth in half vertically.


~Waited at least a week to sew hems because I got sick.

~Sewed a hem down my two raw edges in less than an hour while my boys slept.


~Cut off one of the ends because my ceilings aren't 9 feet tall!


~Hemmed a pocket for the curtain rod cuz I couldn't be bothered to go back to the store to get those clips that everyone loves. 


~Hung the finished panels in my bedroom.

~Laughed cuz they were too short! (I didn't measure. Duh!)

~Left 'em up anyway, cuz they were only $9 and I can always add a ruffle or something. Besides, they hang behind our bed--why do they need to touch the ground?!


~Stood back and admired the soft glow they add to our bedroom!


~Tried to take pictures, but I only have a point-and-shoot and it's impossible to get a good picture of something against a window! 


~Waited a week and tried again.

~Decided 'good enough' was all I could do and that I need to just post about 'em anyway!


I love my dropcloth curtains, and you can be sure that this DIY blogger has more dropcloth projects coming!

4 comments:

  1. I've used towels and other utilitarian items in projects, but never drop cloths! Very clever, and they do look homespun and warm/cozy. Looking forward to more of your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great, and you're right...they DON'T need to touch the ground behind your bed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great! I have some dropcloth curtains in my office and I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your curtains look terrific! I've been meaning to try some for SB's room. His curtainless windows are feeling a bit unfinished to me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails