Pages

Friday, July 6, 2012

Good Eats VI



What a week this was! We here in the midwest have been dealing with extreme heat and dry conditions. While it's exhausting, I'm happy that we don't have massive wildfires like Montana and Colorado, and I'm super happy to have power for our AC, unlike places on the east coast!


Friday: This sort of Spanish-inspired meal turned out to be really good! I made a loose version of Cowboy Caviar (diced tomatoes, sweet pepper, jalepeno, corn, beans, avocado, salt and lime juice) and put it over polenta (aka: cornmeal mush), threw some lettuce on top and some ranch dressing. So tasty!

Saturday: Let's just leave those nights out of this, ok? Something like popcorn, homemade hummus and a loaf of sun-dried tomato basil french bread. No picture, no proof!


Sunday: Penne pasta with jarred spaghetti sauce, salad, french bread shown dry because we dipped it in an olive oil/vinegar mix, and baked zucchini. Have you tried baked zucchini? It's so good! I cut the zucchini into strips, spray it with olive oil, shake on some garlic salt and dry parsley, then bake it in the toaster oven for 20 minutes or so at 400*. I used the toaster oven so the big oven wouldn't be heating up the house. Trying to stay cool!

Monday: This was our 6th anniversary! To celebrate, my husband and I got to go on a date! The awesome friend I ate out with last week watched our three boys--thank you!!! My date and I ate at Taco Bell--don't laugh!--and then saw a movie together. See the logic? The movie was expensive enough, plus we totally saved time by eating fast food! Do you ever do crazy things like that?

Tuesday: We ended up celebrating the 4th of July more on the 3rd than on the 4th! Whatever, right?! We took the boys to the community pool, ate at Pizza Ranch, and stayed up late to watch fireworks in a nearby town. No one even cried! Hey, that's saying a lot for little guys!  


Wednesday: We stayed home on the 4th, but we took the time to make a picnic-style meal! My husband made seitan (gluten fake meat) and grilled it to eat in sandwiches. I made potato salad and peach crisp (not shown--sorry!). We also ate watermelon and corn on the cob. Yum!
 

Thursday: I used the leftover seitan/gluten fried in strips paired with herbed couscous, a green salad and fresh whole wheat bread.

So there you have it! What did you eat this week? I'm thinking of logging our breakfasts next week. Maybe. Or not... Haven't decided.

Have a great day!
















       
           
                                           
       


5 comments:

  1. wow girl you are so inventive with the polenta. i really need to try that again. i've even got it in my fridge! thanks for linking up:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really good. Found your blog through Becky's link up - Feed My Family Friday - and glad I did. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do such a good job feeding your family, Ellie. I fall far short of your plan! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks good!~ I will try the baked zucchini. I usually just put it in a non stick frying pan (or regular frying pan) w. a little oil or butter. or eat diced in salads raw.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found you through Becky's link and glad I did! Great dinner ideas...I tend to get in a summer cooking rut and this helped! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails