Pages

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Father's Day Sign




I know Father's Day is over, but I just had to share what I made for my husband this year! Before there was Pinterest, I saw this sign and knew I wanted to recreate it.

As far as I can tell, credit belongs to The Handmade Home


I chose to keep my version simple by using a piece of board, my Cricut and black paint.

First I sanded the wood down to make the edges smooth, then I stained it with 'special walnut' stain. You should totally wait for the stain to dry, but I cut out the vinyl letters with my Cricut and started sticking them on while it was still wet. Well, vinyl doesn't stick to wet stain, so I added a little poly to make them stay in place and it worked great. Still, don't do what I did! Have some patience and wait for the stain to get good and dry!  


If you hadn't noticed, I didn't pay too much attention to my inspiration picture and my quote is a little different. Oh well--it still rhymes!

The next step in the process is to smear black paint all over your kids and freak out that they might touch something! No, really, they've done this before and know the concept. Well, except for the one-year-old who was super tight-fisted, except when he tried to lick the paint! His hand print isn't perfect, but that's ok!

I added my kids' names with more vinyl letters, then sealed it all with poly.


Daddy likes his new sign and we have a lasting memento of when our boys were 5, 3 and 1. Aw...

What did you do for your husband on Father's Day? Any great ideas for next year?

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful sign! I love anything with handprints, and regret missing so many opportunities along the way to have images of those sweet little hands saved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that sign! How gorgeous

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails